Sunday 23 March 2008

Shipyard - Irish Folly

For anyone familiar with my Space 1889/Aeronef models, you might have seen this particular model labelled as the Fenian Ram.

When I was first researching this particular project the only image I could find was a side profile, I drew a rough plan and constructed the model as detailed below, later, much later I was lucky enough to find a better photo that showed the Fenian Ram to have an arrow head bow. I therefore re-named her the Irish Folly and later constructed a model of the Fenian Ram mk II.


The model is constructed to a scale of 1/300th (or 1mm = 1foot).

These two 'work-in-progress' shots show a main hull built from balsa with the rear deck made from a plastic button. The central hull and bow are also balsa with cardboard 'cladding', paper and plastic card detail while the main gun is made from a plastic knitting needle.


The tower is made from the bottom of a plastic barrel attached to a section of knitting needle and a mast from a sanded cocktail stick. Most of the additional detail is plastic card with some 'green stuff'.

The model is painted with acrylic paints and mounted on to a Games Workshop 40mm round base. The flag was hand painted.

Tony

4 comments:

WQRobb said...

Do you game with the 1/300th scale models using Aeronef?

Tony said...

To Robert

Yes I use slightly modified Aeronef rules with some ammendments from the Captains Handbook.

Tony

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the original picture of the Fenian ram on which you based your model? All I've been able to find is the basic layout in the Sky Galleons Of Mars / Cloudships 'ship sheet'.

Tony said...

"Where did you find the original picture of the Fenian Ram"

I'm sorry but it's so long ago that I'm no longer sure where I got the image from. I will try to find my original sketches and see if I have included any information, but I'm not sure I have anything I can pass on.

Tony