Wednesday 8 June 2016

Peter Howson by Robert Heller



Later this week, Sue and I are planning another trip to Shrewsbury. We visited this historic market town earlier this year and had a great time sampling the food and drink in some of the local restaurants. One of my favourite purchases was this book - Peter Howson written by Robert Heller which I picked up in a charity book shop for just £2.50.

I was immediately struck by the stark images and limited pallete, which is very similar to my own limited paint pallete that I use to paint my own miniatures. This pallete has developed over the years to include earth brown, Snakebite Leather (from Games Workshop), pale flesh and blood red. I use very little blue or yellow - all painted over a black or dark brown base or undercoat. When I find other artists or art work using the same colours I always try to study them for further inspiration.

The works shown in this book are rather disturbing, but the style and colours used have some interest to me. Here are a few examples.





The book was published in 2003 by Momentum
(Momentum, 82 Kingsland Road, London E2 8DP.
240 pages with hundreds of illustrations.
ISBN 1902945115

Tony

2 comments:

Rob Alderman said...

Peter Howson is great, I actually copied some of his paintings when I was at school.

Tony said...

"I actually copied some of his paintings when I was at school."

I wasn't aware of him until I picked up the book. As I said in the post - I find his subject matter a bit'dark' but like his painting style and choice of colours.

Tony